For the first quarter Vipshop reported earnings of 63 cents a share, beating the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of 46 cents a share by 17 cents. Revenue grew 125.9% from the year-ago quarter to $701.9 million. Analysts expected revenue of $650.5 million for the quarter.
"We are very excited to report robust first quarter 2014 financial results, which reflect our continued strong growth momentum and increasing operational efficiencies, evidenced by 125.9% year-over-year growth in net revenues and incremental gross margin expansion to 24.9%," Vipshop chairman and CEO Eric Shen said in a press release. "As the integration of our strategic acquisition of Lefeng commences, we expect to benefit from synergies associated with streamlining our comprehensive cosmetics offerings and cross selling to our customer bases and lowering our combined operating expenses."
Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates VIPSHOP HOLDINGS LTD -ADR as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate VIPSHOP HOLDINGS LTD -ADR (VIPS) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- VIPS's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 4.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 117.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 258.33% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 287.64% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, VIPS should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- VIPSHOP HOLDINGS LTD -ADR reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, VIPSHOP HOLDINGS LTD -ADR turned its bottom line around by earning $0.91 versus -$0.19 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.46 versus $0.91).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Internet & Catalog Retail industry. The net income increased by 300.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $6.35 million to $25.40 million.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Internet & Catalog Retail industry and the overall market, VIPSHOP HOLDINGS LTD -ADR's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: VIPS Ratings Report