James Dennin, Kapitall: The rumor is AT&T wants to buy DirecTV. Will consumers accept another huge telecom merger?
AT&T (T) recently announced plans to pay $50 billion for the satellite TV provider DirecTV (DTV). That would be the second major telecom merger of the year, assuming that authorities approve of Comcast's (CMCSA) bid to buy Time Warner (TWC).
Read more from Kapitall: Why is the market ignoring these mining and energy stocks?
Yet while consumers may cringe at the thought of more consolidation in an already unpopular industry, there is a chance that the merger may provide some much needed competition.AT&T was already planning a major expansion by acquiring the European phone maker Vodafone (VOD), so the move is seen by some as a direct response to the union of Comcast and Time Warner. AT&T's cash would make DirecTV a much more formidable competitor to the two cable giants, and AT&T will broaden its product offerings to lure in new domestic customers rather than trying to seek those new customers abroad. The announcement also raises the question of what is going to happen to Vodafone. While some think that the stock is still attractive without a potential buyer for the shares, there's no denying they could have used AT&T's cash as the company undergoes a major $20 billion upgrade of its network over the next two years. We decided to build a stock list with all the players in the current wave of telecommunications mergers. Do you think regulators will approve them? Use the list below to begin your analysis and let us know what you think in the comments. Click on the interactive chart to view data over time. 1. AT&T, Inc. ( T): Provides telecommunication services to consumers, businesses, and other service providers worldwide. Market cap at $171.02B, most recent closing price at $32.47.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV