NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tech websites are speculating that Microsoft (MSFT) is planning to unveil a third version of its Surface Pro tablet and computer powered by Windows at next week's press event, after what could amount to nothing more than a typo, set the rumor mill churning.
On Tuesday the software company published an article that detailed the support provided for the "Surface Pro 3 Camera," Valuewalk.com reports.
Microsoft said the article contained a typo and removed the reference to the yet to be announced Surface Pro 3 device.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
The popular tech blog cnet.com reported last week that it spoke to sources with knowledge the company is going to unveil a new Intel-based Surface at its May 20 event.Microsoft is planning to introduce a smaller version of its Surface that will use processors supplied by Qualcomm Inc. (QCOM), ending Nvidia Corp.'s (NVDA) run as the tablet's chip supplier, according to Bloomberg. Seperately, Microsoft recently announced it is going to cut the price of its Xbox One gaming console by $100. Zacks Equity Research suggests Microsoft lowed the console's price after data showed its competitor, Sony (SNE) sold more PlayStation 4 devices than Microsoft sold Xbox One units.
Shares of Microsoft are down -0.54% to $40.20 on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings team rates MICROSOFT CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MICROSOFT CORP (MSFT) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels, solid stock price performance and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- MSFT's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.26 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.01, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, MICROSOFT CORP's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- MICROSOFT CORP's earnings per share declined by 5.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MICROSOFT CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.60 versus $2.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.70 versus $2.60).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MSFT Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.