The company, in a statement, didn't cite a reason for the change. A story that ran on the newspaper's Web site said "the reasons for the switch were not immediately clear." Shares were falling 4.1% to $15.12.
Abramson, 60, the newspaper's first female executive editor, will give way to Baquet, a Pulitizer Prize-winning investigative journalist, who becomes the New York Times' first African-American editor. While executive editor, the Times launched a digital-subscription pay-model, introducing new online products such as its premium Times Insider service. She also oversaw coverage of the National Security Agency and investigations into corruption among leaders of China's Communist Party.
Arthur Sulzberger Jr., the publisher and chairman of New York Times Company, said in a statement that "Jill Abramson has my sincere thanks for not just preserving and extending the excellence of our news report during her time as executive editor, but also for inspiring her colleagues to adjust their approach to how we deliver the news."Sulzberger announced the change to senior editors prior to informing the full newsroom around 2:30 p.m. New York time, the newpaper said. Baquet, 57, a former editor of the Los Angeles Times, was hired by the Times in March 2007 as its Washington bureau chief. During the 1990s, he was an investigative reporter and national editor for The New York Times in New York and Washington, DC. . >>Read More: Final Hour: Stocks Pause From the Dizzy Climb Volcker Garbled, Inaudible at Geithner Graduation -- Written by Leon Lazaroff in New York. Follow @leonlazaroff >Contact by Email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV