NEW YORK, May 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Engineering News-Record (ENR, http://www.enr.com/), McGraw Hill Construction's industry-leading information source, announced the winners of the ENR Global Best Projects Awards last night in Manhattan. The second annual awards were presented at a dinner celebration as part of ENR's Global Construction Summit ( http://construction.com/events/2014/global-summit/).
The ENR Global Best Projects Awards, known as the "ENR Globies," honor outstanding examples of the risks and rewards of designing and building internationally. A judging panel of independent industry leaders examined projects' safety, innovations, challenges and design and construction quality, placing special emphasis on the diversity of project teams and their teamwork.
The Halley VI Antarctic Research Station, an innovative project in one of the most extreme environments on Earth, won the Education/Research category and was judges' unanimous choice for Project of the Year. The $42 million station was built by British Antarctic Survey and designed by a partnership between the London offices of AECOM and Hugh Broughton Architects.
The winners, featured at http://www.enr.com/, include:Bridges/Tunnels
- Best Project, Bridges/Tunnels: Dragon Bridge, Da Nang, Vietnam
- Award of Merit, Bridges/Tunnels: New Europe Bridge, Bulgaria/ Romania
- Best Project, Cultural: Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg, Canada
- Award of Merit, Cultural: TsingTao Pearl Visitors Center, Qingdao, China
- Best Project, Education/Research & Project of the Year: Halley VI Antarctic Research Station, Antarctica
- Best Project, Government Buildings: Governor George Deukmejian Courthouse, Long Beach, CA
- Award of Merit, Government Buildings: U.S. Embassy Compound, Dakar, Senegal
- Best Project, Green Project: Center for Sustainable Landscapes, Pittsburgh, PA
- Award of Merit, Green Project: U.S. Embassy Compound, Phase 1, Helsinki, Finland
- Best Project, Manufacturing: Superabsorbent Polymers Project, Jubail, Saudi Arabia
- Award of Merit, Manufacturing: Y-Tec Keylex Mexico Automotive Parts Manufacturing Facility, Salamanca, Mexico
- Best Project, Office: The Place, London
- Best Project, Power/Industrial: Al Khairat Gas Turbine Power Plant, Karbala, Iraq
- Award of Merit, Power/Industrial: Ras Al Khair Aluminum Smelter, Saudi Arabia
- Best Project, Renovation/Restoration: Repairs to 10,000 Quake Damaged Houses, Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Best Project, Residential/Hospitality: Curundu Urban Renovation Rebuilds Community, Panama City, Panama
- Award of Merit, Residential/Hospitality: THR350, Hong Kong