ALEXANDRIA, Va., May 14, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- John C. Lechleiter, Ph.D., Chairman, President and CEO of Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY), was today elected to a two-year term as chair of United Way Worldwide's Board of Trustees. United Way is the world's largest privately funded nonprofit.
"John brings extensive leadership and expertise leading one of the world's most successful companies as well as a personal commitment to improving people's lives," said Brian A. Gallagher, president and CEO of United Way Worldwide. "John will be instrumental in helping to strengthen the capacity of our worldwide network to meet rapidly growing human need. He possesses a unique understanding of both United Way and the increasingly complex issues facing communities around the world."
Lechleiter has served as Lilly CEO since 2008 and as chairman since 2009. He joined Lilly in 1979 as a senior organic chemist in process research and development and became head of that department in 1982. In 1984, he began serving as director of pharmaceutical product development for the Lilly Research Centre Limited in Windlesham, England. He later held roles in project management, regulatory affairs, product development, and pharmaceutical operations. In 2005, he was named president and chief operating officer and joined the board of directors.
"I am honored to be named chairman of such a great organization," said Lechleiter. "United Way improves lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world to advance the common good—work that is both fundamental and complex. I appreciate the unique and indispensable role of United Way in effecting change in the areas of education, income and health—creating the building blocks to help people achieve their full potential."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV