NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Not all analysis done on a retailer from inside a store is in the pursuit of spotting mistakes by executives and merchants. Sure, the dreadful state of Sears (SHLD) could easily be brought to life by a walkthrough of ANY Sears or Kmart location, especially in Canada. At that particular chain, there are ZERO positives to record. But, many retailers actually are doing things correctly from merchandising (which includes lighting, fixtures, and folding), to customer service, to getting consumers to open their wallets.
J.C. Penney (JCP), believe it or not, currently falls under the heading of a retailer doing more right than wrong in its stores, partially explaining the recovery in the stock price from the 52-week low hit on Feb. 5, 2014. What, you thought Macy's (M) and Nordstrom (JWN) were the only department stores that excite people enough to buy items they don't really need?
>>Read More: The Shocking Truth on Why Macy's Won't Be Going Under Anytime Soon
Here is the science J.C. Penney is using in its stores to temporarily diminish the threat of bankruptcy by reconnecting with customers (and perhaps gaining new customers), positioning the chain for a new CEO to be announced in February 2015.
On the outside, J.C. Penney still resembles the Babyboomer Mom Store of America. But, on the inside, J.C. Penney has taken the fixtures it's still paying for from the era of former CEO Ron Johnson and has done this...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV