NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Polypore (PPO)are climbing after an analyst upgraded the stock and predicted that the company would probably partner with Tesla (TSLA). Polypore develops membranes for lithium batteries.
WHAT'S NEW: Polypore is likely to team up with Tesla to manufacture membranes for the electric car maker's "gigafactory" battery plant, William Blair analyst Brian Drab wrote in a note to investors earlier today. After speaking with several industry sources, Drab stated that Polypore is the front-runner to supply Tesla with membranes, which would be used as separators for the electric car maker's batteries. Also contributing to the analyst's view that Tesla will choose Polypore are the low cost of Polypore's separators, its positive reputation, and its status as the only lithium battery separator in the U.S., where Tesla's factory will be located. Although it's difficult to estimate the revenue that Polypore would obtain from such a deal, Tesla could account for half of Polypore's revenue by 2020, the analyst estimated. Drab upgraded his rating on Polypore's stock to Outperform from Market Perform.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: On May 9, DA Davidson upgraded Polypore to Buy from Neutral, saying that the stock is unlikely to drop significantly, while the company could benefit over the long-term from the proliferation of electric vehicles. The firm raised its price target on the shares to $42 from $36.
PRICE ACTION: In mid-morning trading, Polypore jumped $1.34, or 3.2%, to $42.89.Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV