TAMPA, Fla., May 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Hurricane Season 2014 is set to begin on June 1, and Floridians can help their families stay safe and ready with an emergency communication plan.
Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless carrier, offers these tips to keep in touch and out of danger during storm season:
- Keep phones, tablets, batteries, chargers and other equipment in a dry, accessible location. Simple zip-lock storage bags will shield devices, and today there are many waterproof phones, cases and other protective accessories.
- Keep phone and tablet batteries fully charged – in case local power is lost – well before warnings are issued.
- Have additional charged batteries and car-charger adapters available for back-up power. Numerous chargers, including solar-powered devices, make it easy to stay powered up.
- Maintain a list of emergency numbers – police and fire agencies; power and insurance companies; family, friends and co-workers; etc. – and program them into your wireless devices before an emergency arises.
- Distribute wireless phone numbers to family members and friends.
- Use a free service such as Verizon Cloud, which provides 5MB of data storage, to save your contacts and other important information on a secure server in case your phone or tablet is lost or damaged.
- Use your tablet to conveniently photograph and catalogue your valuables and other household belongings for possible insurance claims.
- Access dozens of free weather-, news- and safety-related services for smartphones and tablets. With 4G LTE technology, users can enjoy high-speed downloads, high-definition pictures and video, and advanced performance in a broad array of these applications.
"We've been fortunate the last few years in Florida with quiet hurricane seasons, but it's critical to remain vigilant," said Mariano Legaz, Verizon Wireless Florida region president. "Wireless technology can help Floridians stay prepared and safe in a storm."Once a storm is on the way, Verizon Wireless suggests the following tips for enhanced emergency communications and safety:
- Limit non-emergency calls to conserve battery power and free-up wireless networks for emergency agencies and operations.
- Send brief text messages rather than voice calls.
- Forward your home phone calls to your wireless number if you evacuate.
- Check weather and news reports on wireless phone applications when power is out.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV