NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Macy's are climbing on Wednesday after the retailer reported profit that narrowly beat analysts' expectations despite the bad winter weather and also raised its dividend and increased its share buyback program by $1.5 billion.
Bad weather weighed on Macy's (M) sales in the first quarter, but the retailer's profit still managed to narrowly beat analysts' expectations.Macy's reported a 1.7% decline in quarterly sales. In a statement, Chief Executive Terry Lundgren said, "Overall, business trends were soft in January through March, with the exception of the Valentine's Day shopping period. The trend improved in April when the weather began to turn in northern climate zones. We see this as a good sign moving forward into the second quarter." Macy's reported net income that climbed to $224 million, or 60 cents a share, in the period, on revenue that slipped to nearly $6.3 billion. Analysts expected a profit of 59 cents a share on revenue of about $6.4 billion, according to Thomson Reuters. The company also raised its dividend and increased its share buyback program by $1.5 billion. Bank of America Merrill Lynch research analyst Lorraine Hutchinson said in a note, "While the promotional environment remains challenging, we think Macy's is poised for continued growth in 2014 driven chiefly by its core M.O.M. strategies and we reiterate our Buy rating." M.O.M. stands for Macy's three-pronged business strategy, My Macy's, Omnichannel and MAGIC Selling. At last check, shares of Macy's were climbing almost 1.6% to $58.75. In New York, I'm Brittany Umar for TheStreet. -- Written by Brittany Umar in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV