PARIS, May 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Chorus, New Zealand's largest telecommunications infrastructure company, has selected IP routing technology from Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) to build the IP core network that will power its 'Chorus Accelerate' program, which will offer customers an entirely new set of broadband services over both copper and fiber networks.
Chorus will deploy the Alcatel-Lucent 7950 Extensible Routing System (XRS) to support a multi-million New Zealand dollar investment in its core infrastructure to handle the increased bandwidth demand created by the program. With its ability to handle up to 16 Terabits of data per second, the 7950 XRS has the capacity necessary to support high bandwidth broadband services like high definition video and cloud applications.
Chorus is the first Asia-Pacific telecommunications provider to deploy Alcatel-Lucent's 7950 XRS, which will pave the way for a new portfolio of 'Chorus Accelerate' broadband products for existing customers, new customers, high bandwidth users and business with committed bandwidth rates of 100Mbps.
Consuming just a single Watt per Gigabit of traffic, the 7950 XRS helps deliver these services at a competitive price and in an eco-sustainable manner.Key facts:
- Chorus is making a multi-million dollar core network investment to support the launch of 'Chorus Accelerate', a new set of broadband products that deliver greater speeds, enhanced HD video capacity, greater choice for the telecommunications industry and consumers, and a clear path to fiber.
- Alcatel-Lucent's 7950 XRS will enable Chorus to support the high bandwidth demands created by the new 'Chorus Accelerate' products.
- Alcatel-Lucent's high-capacity 7950 XRS will support Chorus' extensive fiber network by managing data flow through ultra high-density 10Gbps and 100Gbps capacities across the network while also providing a foundation for 400Gigabit Ethernet as the technology becomes available.
- An international study by Bell Laboratories found that ultra-fast broadband has the potential to generate $33 billion in productivity benefits over 20 years for New Zealand.
- Bell Labs study: Building the Benefits of Broadband: How New Zealand can increase the social & economic impacts of high-speed broadband
- Product web site: http://bit.ly/12MByki
- Photos: Alcatel-Lucent 7950 XRS family: http://bit.ly/Z3c4ib
- General ALU Flickr link: http://bit.ly/Z3cKEg
- Blog: Alcatel-Lucent's New Core Router: off to a big start http://bit.ly/Vnibkj
- Techzine article: Why hotter networks need a cooler core