FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) announced today that FedEx TechConnect has opened a new package laboratory to better serve customers. The 30,000+ square-foot facility will serve both big and small FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight customers, providing them free package testing and design services.
FedEx handles about 10 million packages per day and commerce on this scale requires a scientific focus on proper packaging.
“Packaging is a critical part of the supply chain and the work done in this new state-of-the-art facility will help ensure the safe transportation of our customers’ shipments,” said Cary Pappas, president and CEO of FedEx TechConnect. “This new facility is not only a testing and design center, it’s a customer education center. This lab allows our engineers to test and develop new packaging solutions and provide our customers valuable guidance.”
The first FedEx packaging lab began operations in 1987 and has evolved over the years. Today’s move to this new industry-leading facility is the culmination of three years of design and development work. The new laboratory uses the latest technology and testing protocols, including equipment that drops, squeezes and shakes various forms of packaging to test their strength and effectiveness.The facility’s advanced environmental controls maintain the temperature and humidity in the laboratory’s preconditioning room and materials testing room to within 5% industry tolerance. “We can simulate any part of the FedEx network anywhere in the world, from the desert to the rainforest to the Arctic,” said Pappas. The facility allows FedEx to test and design packaging for a wide variety of products that their customers may ship – from perishables, glass, delicate electronics and life sciences to large freight shipments. The lab’s unique features include:
- Altitude chamber (Site level to 100,000 feet)
- Temperature chamber (-90°F to +350°F)
- Humidity chamber (within 2% tolerance)
- Two drop testers
- Three vibration tables
- Compression table
- Automated sample table
- 5-ton crane for testing skidded freight
- Forklift course for testing skidded freight
- Material testing laboratory
- Wood shop
- Other specialty design and testing equipment
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV