Discount apparel and housewares retailer TJX (TJX) is a different story. Not only does this firm sport a very compelling traffic driver for its stores, TJX also benefits from outsized margins from the retail sector. So while fund managers sell shares of TJX Companies in 2014, it makes sense to be on the other side of the trade.
TJX owns an attractive collection of discount retail names that includes T.J. Maxx, Marshall's and HomeGoods -- three store chains that benefit when consumers want to seek out a bargain. TJX is the standard bearer in the off-price retail segment, the firm's stores stock major brand name clothing, accessories and housewares at prices that are fairly dramatic discounts to their retail costs. That positioning helps to ensure limited competition from online discount retailers; the limited stock nature of the off-price retail business makes online sales difficult. Better, full-price retailers and manufacturers need TJX because the firm is willing to buy massive swaths of excess inventory.Retail is extremely capital intense, and TJX provides a top-line boost to its suppliers with zero risk. On the consumer side, TJX's value proposition means that the firm stands to do well in the event of a surprise economic hiccup. Even so, funds sold off 6.87 million shares of TJX in the most recent quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV