NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you don't think Internet radio has made it to the mainstream, think again. I was just listening to MLB Network's Peter Gammons on Fox Sports Radio with Steve Gorman. When asked about the music he's listening to now, Gammons pointed out that he discovered an artist on Pandora (P).
Might seem insignificant. And it's certainly not a reason to buy Pandora stock. It's hardly a buy here, but it's worth thinking about how ubiquitous Pandora has become. This increasing omnipresence lends support to what I truly think is about to happen -- some Pandora-related M&A. Quite possibly a buyout, particularly in light of the reported purchase of Beats Electronics by Apple (AAPL).
ICYMI: I lay out what I think is a pretty sturdy rationale for a takeout of Pandora by Google (GOOG) or Yahoo! (YHOO) in Google or Yahoo! Buying Pandora Makes a Ton of Sense.
Given the trend Facebook (FB) kicked into high gear of buying up companies for their user bases, Google and/or Yahoo! have got to be looking at Pandora. It's not only a user base, but a sticky one. One that's built around music. And if you're looking to integrate, synergize and monetize everything from search to video, there's no more prolific, yet wholly underutilized area than music.Follow @mynameisrocco --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV