3 Stocks Pushing The Energy Industry Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Energy industry as a whole closed the day up 0.1% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Laggards within the Energy industry included Lucas Energy (LEI), down 8.2%, Houston American Energy (HUSA), down 4.3%, Blueknight Energy Partners (BKEP), down 2.4%, TGC Industries (TGE), down 1.6% and Enservco (ENSV), down 10.1%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:Blueknight Energy Partners (BKEP) is one of the companies that pushed the Energy industry lower today. Blueknight Energy Partners was down $0.22 (2.4%) to $8.78 on average volume. Throughout the day, 33,945 shares of Blueknight Energy Partners exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 30,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $8.76-$9.09 after having opened the day at $9.00 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $9.00. Blueknight Energy Partners, L.P., together with its subsidiaries, provides integrated terminalling, storage, processing, gathering, and transportation services for companies engaged in the production, distribution, and marketing of crude oil and asphalt products in the United States. Blueknight Energy Partners has a market cap of $206.1 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are up 5.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Blueknight Energy Partners a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Blueknight Energy Partners as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, unimpressive growth in net income and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on BKEP go as follows:
- BKEP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 37.16% is the gross profit margin for BLUEKNIGHT ENERGY PRTNRS LP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of BKEP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BKEP's net profit margin of 8.38% compares favorably to the industry average.
- BLUEKNIGHT ENERGY PRTNRS LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLUEKNIGHT ENERGY PRTNRS LP increased its bottom line by earning $0.43 versus $0.32 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 34.9% in earnings ($0.28 versus $0.43).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 35.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $6.02 million to $3.89 million.
- In its most recent trading session, BKEP has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV