3 Stocks Driving The Computer Hardware Industry Higher
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The three major indices are trading lower today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) trading up 20 points (0.1%) at 16,715 as of Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 4:20 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,363 issues advancing vs. 1,697 declining with 123 unchanged.The Computer Hardware industry as a whole closed the day down 0.3% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Top gainers within the Computer Hardware industry included Overland Storage (OVRL), up 1.7%, Xplore Technologies (XPLR), up 3.3%, Crossroads Systems (CRDS), up 7.0%, Lantronix (LTRX), up 4.5% and China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech (CNTF), up 2.4%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today:Lantronix (LTRX) is one of the companies that pushed the Computer Hardware industry higher today. Lantronix was up $0.08 (4.5%) to $1.85 on light volume. Throughout the day, 23,043 shares of Lantronix exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 137,500 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $1.78-$1.86 after having opened the day at $1.78 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.77. Lantronix, Inc. designs, develops, markets, and sells networking and communications products with a focus on the convergence of mobility with machine-to-machine systems. The company provides solutions that enable machines, devices, and sensors to be securely accessed, managed, and controlled. Lantronix has a market cap of $26.2 million and is part of the technology sector. Shares are up 13.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Lantronix a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Lantronix as a sell. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been an overall disappointing return on equity.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on LTRX go as follows:
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Communications Equipment industry and the overall market, LANTRONIX INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- LTRX, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 3.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.7%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- The gross profit margin for LANTRONIX INC is rather high; currently it is at 51.94%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -1.12% is in-line with the industry average.
- LANTRONIX INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, LANTRONIX INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.19 versus -$0.28 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.03 versus -$0.19).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV