NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Freddie Mac (FMCC) and Fannie Mae (FNMA) closed up today, 6.90% to $4.49, and 7.78% to $4.57, respectively.
In after-hours trading, shares of both Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are slightly higher.
The move today followed a speech by Mel Watt, director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency that oversees Fannie and Freddie, in which he said the firms will shift their focus toward making more credit available to homeowners.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV