NEW YORK (Real Money) -- So it really was the weather. That's what the action in so many stocks is saying. Take United Parcel (UPS - Get Report). Here's a company that totally went out and said that the cause of its shortfall was the weather because of the overtime and the difficulty of getting packages to people.
Twice the company has blamed the weather for missed profit projections. Twice the company's stock was punished as if this were just a silly alibi. Not anymore. This stock is headed higher, and it has to be because people are realizing: Hey, wait a second -- maybe the weather was really terrible and UPS is now going to do quite well.
I think we are going to see the same thing for most of the retailers when they report this week.
Jim Cramer on Pfizer/AstraZeneca, AT&T Deals; Whirlpool Downgrade
More videos from Jim Cramer That's the chief reason that Action Alerts PLUS bought Macy's (M). The stock has been down because of word that sales were particularly soft during the bad weather. But when you look at the malls that were closed, and how much business was lost, you really have to say that it was a one-off event. That even extends to home goods. For example, Monday Whirlpool (WHR - Get Report) reaffirmed its forecast. To me, that means people are back, out in the stores, fixing up their houses with new appliances. Now, lots of market players have been doing these theoretical shorts that revolve around housing. They've been betting that, because of lackluster home sales, there's been a real degradation in retail home furnishings. I think we will find out that that's not the case, either. I do find it mystifying that more homes aren't being bought, but I think that's more of an inventory issue. But spending on homes? It seems unabated -- interrupted only by, yes, the weather.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV