Fannie and Freddie story updated from 11:49 a.m. with share price and comments from Jefferies analyst Furtado.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac (FMCC) common and preferred shares were higher Tuesday following a speech by their chief regulator, Federal Housing Finance Authority Director Mel Watt.
Fannie Mae common shares were up 9.91% to $4.66 Tuesday afternoon and Freddie Mac common shares were up 8.57% to $4.56. Fanie Mae "S" series preferred shares were up 4.98% to $10.97.
Michael Kao, head of hedge fund Akanthos Capital and a longtime investor in Fannie and Freddie explained the action in the shares by pointing to comments by Watt that he no doesn't believe it is his job to shrink the market shares of the government sponsored mortgage giants.
FHFA's Watt: "I don't think it's FHFA's role to contract the footprint of Fannie and Freddie." Doing so could be "irresponsible." Nick Timiraos (@NickTimiraos) May 13, 2014
In an email exchange with TheStreet, Kao described Watt's comments as a "stark about face to the [Obama Administration's] previous show of support to Johnson Crapo."Johnson Crapo is legislation aimed at winding down Fannie and Freddie. Watt said Tuesday he wouldn't comment on the bill, which is expected to pass the Senate Banking Committee in a vote set for Thursday but is widely viewed as lacking support to become law.
"If this bill stalls, as is currently expected, it is difficult for us to see how the status-quo of GSE dominance is reduced over the intermediate term," wrote Jefferies analyst Daniel Furtado in a follow-up report to Watt's remarks Tuesday. Ahead of Watt's remarks, the FHFA announced it would make it easier for banks and other mortgage originators to avoid legal claims from Fannie and Freddie.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV