NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Rentech Inc. (RTK - Get Report) are higher by 2.55% to $2.21 on Tuesday after the company announced an increase in revenue to $84.8 million for the 2014 first quarter, compared to $59.6 million from the prior year's quarter.
The clean energy solutions provider said adjusted EBITDA was up $0.3 million to $6.0 million for the most recent quarter.
The company reported a net loss of -$7 million, or 3 cents per share, compared to a net loss of -$5.2 million, or 2 cents per share for the 2013 first quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates RENTECH INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
Must Read: Why BNP Paribas (BNPQY) Stock Is Down
"We rate RENTECH INC (RTK) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and generally higher debt management risk."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- RENTECH INC has improved earnings per share by 45.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, RENTECH INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.00 versus -$0.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an increase in earnings to $0.05 from $0.00.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 40.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$24.53 million to -$14.53 million.
- Compared to its price level of one year ago, RTK is down 4.39% to its most recent closing price of 2.18. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact either way, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The gross profit margin for RENTECH INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 10.49%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -18.33% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$14.53 million or 13740.95% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RTK Ratings Report