NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of lululemon (LULU), which specializes in developing yoga attire, are climbing after research firm ISI Group wrote that the company could become a takeover target for apparel maker VF Corporation (VFC).
WHAT'S NEW: VF Corp. operates like a private equity firm and should make one or two "significant" acquisitions every other year or so, ISI analyst Omar Saad wrote in a note to investors earlier. VF Corp. lacks a foothold in the strong and growing performance athletic apparel segment and a merger between the companies would be mutually beneficial because, unlike lululemon, VF has strong brand building and product innovation capabilities, as well as a top notch supply chain, the analyst contended. If VF Corp. acquires lululemon for $50 per share, such a deal could increase the former company's earnings per share by about $1.05 over the long-term, Saad estimated. ISI Group upgraded VF Corp. to Buy from Neutral and raised its price target on the stock to $75 from $65.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: ISI also listed Puma and Lands' End (LE), which was recently spun-off of Sears (SHLD), as other potential takeover candidates for VF.
PRICE ACTION: In mid-morning trading, lululemon advanced $1.29, or 2.9%, to $46.06, VF Corp. gained 94c, or 1.5%, to $63.75, and Land's End edged up 0.7% to $27.13.Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV