NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Newmont Mining (NEM - Get Report) was gaining 1.1% to $24.79 Tuesday after signing an agreement to sell the Jundee underground gold mine in Western Australia to Northern Star (NST).
The miner will sell the mine to Northern Star for about $77 million. Northern Star will pay Newmont another payment of about $14 million for working capital, bringing Newmont's total proceeds from the deal to about $91 million.
"We are pleased to announce our agreement with Northern Star. It demonstrates our continuing efforts to optimize our portfolio and increase shareholder value by focusing on lower cost, longer life operations," said Randy Engel, Newmont Executive Vice President for Strategic Development, in a press release.
The deal is expected to close in early July.Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates NEWMONT MINING CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NEWMONT MINING CORP (NEM) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 68.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $314.00 million to $100.00 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, NEWMONT MINING CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $180.00 million or 58.42% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, NEWMONT MINING CORP has marginally lower results.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 29.23%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 63.49% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- NEWMONT MINING CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEWMONT MINING CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$5.06 versus $3.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.86 versus -$5.06).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NEM Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts