Antarctic Ice Melt Will Raise Sea Levels, Swamp Cities
Even with just a foot of sea level rise, the Hamptons will no longer be anybody's vacation spot. That could happen within decades.
The U.S. military is taking the threat very seriously. According to a New York Times article Wednesday, the Pentagon now considers climate change in general a direct threat to global stability and national security. Rising sea levels in particular imperil military installations around the world, including the important naval base at Norfolk, Va.
Millions of people around the globe live in coastal communities which will be at far greater risk than Navy facilities or the wealthy in NYC apartments with river views. Developing the coastlines in emerging markets will soon be anathema as those governments wake up to the encroaching destruction of those bright beaches and reestablish their urban centers on higher ground.
One of the most common of the many sarcastic witticisms global warming deniers like to repeat ad nauseam in the comments section of articles on TheStreet is this: "Here, let me write you a check."But there's apparently nothing to be done. Quoted in the New York Times, one of the scientists, Dr. Ian Joughlin of the University of Washington, echoed the remarks of other scientists involved, noting that the ice sheet melt is slow but unstoppable. "There's no stabilization mechanism," he said. Nothing in nature. No program, no investible plan to correct this massive sea level rise. World economies will be drained from moving entire coastal cities, struggling to preserve the quality of public health and mitigate the worst personal risks. Keep the check. Your kids will need it. >>Read More: Global Warming Attack Dogs Just Don't Get It Moore Equals Less in Global Warming Denial Global Warming Panel Calls for Dramatic Action to Avoid Catastrophe -- Written by Carlton Wilkinson in New York City
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV