NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of DirecTV (DTV) are higher by 3.89% to $90.59 in pre-market trade as AT&T (T) is in active talks to buy the satellite TV provider and may complete a deal in the next few weeks that could be worth close to $50 billion, source say, Reuters reports.
AT&T is said to be discussing an offer in the low- to mid-$90s per share for DirecTV, sources added, compared with the company's closing price yesterday of $87.16.
The deal price has yet to be finalized and terms could still change, sources told Reuters, adding that discussions are continuing.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, DTV's share price has jumped by 37.49%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, DTV should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- DTV's revenue growth trails the industry average of 14.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- DIRECTV's earnings per share declined by 9.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DIRECTV increased its bottom line by earning $5.19 versus $4.61 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.80 versus $5.19).
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $1,590.00 million or 3.51% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, DIRECTV's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 5.63%.
- 48.68% is the gross profit margin for DIRECTV which we consider to be strong. Regardless of DTV's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 7.14% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DTV Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV