3 Electronics Stocks Pushing The Industry Higher
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) trading up 112 points (0.7%) at 16,695 as of Monday, May 12, 2014, 4:20 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,429 issues advancing vs. 632 declining with 133 unchanged.The Electronics industry as a whole closed the day up 2.5% versus the S&P 500, which was up 1.0%. Top gainers within the Electronics industry included Schmitt Industries (SMIT), up 5.8%, Giga-tronics (GIGA), up 2.5%, BTU International (BTUI), up 5.6%, Advanced Photonix (API), up 4.9% and Planar Systems (PLNR), up 4.4%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today:Planar Systems (PLNR) is one of the companies that pushed the Electronics industry higher today. Planar Systems was up $0.10 (4.4%) to $2.30 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 105,699 shares of Planar Systems exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 33,700 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $2.28-$2.35 after having opened the day at $2.31 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.20. Planar Systems, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, and markets electronic display products and systems. Planar Systems has a market cap of $44.7 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are down 13.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are 2 analysts who rate Planar Systems a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Planar Systems as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on PLNR go as follows:
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- PLANAR SYSTEMS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, PLANAR SYSTEMS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.31 versus -$0.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.16 versus -$0.31).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, PLANAR SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PLANAR SYSTEMS INC is rather low; currently it is at 24.59%. Regardless of PLNR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 0.55% trails the industry average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV