THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., May 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Amgen today announced that four individuals who are an inspiration for others affected by cancer have been selected as Breakaway from Cancer ® Champions. They will be honored as part of Amgen's Breakaway from Cancer national initiative, designed to raise awareness of the important resources available to those impacted by cancer – from prevention to survivorship – during the ninth annual Amgen Tour of California, the nation's largest and most prestigious professional cycling race, which takes place May 11-18, 2014.
In addition, Amgen has launched an effort to build the world's largest cancer support team. Visit the Breakaway from Cancer booth in the Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival located near the finish line in each race finish city and have your photo taken to join the team, go to the Breakaway from Cancer Facebook page and leave a message in support of cancer survivors, or use "hashtag" "breakaway" (# breakaway) to be part of the movement.
"Amgen is leading the race to dramatically improve people's lives through our national initiative, Breakaway from Cancer," explained Ray Jordan, senior vice president of Corporate Affairs at Amgen. "Amgen is truly honored to recognize cancer survivors during the Amgen Tour of California as well as provide information about important resources for those affected by cancer and their support teams through our collaboration with Breakaway from Cancer's four nonprofit partners. Similar to the sport of cycling where it takes a team to achieve success, one person alone cannot beat cancer."
The 2014 Breakaway from Cancer Champions were selected by Amgen on behalf of Breakaway from Cancer and will be honored and celebrated during the "Breakaway Mile," a special walk to honor the millions of cancer survivors worldwide at the Amgen Tour of California finish line in four cities prior to the day's finish of the professional race. The four Breakaway from Cancer Champions are:
- Sacramento – Eve Bukowski (from Davis, Calif.). Faith in herself, a strong support network of family, friends, and doctors, and dreams of a future with her children are what have kept Bukowski fighting through the past more than six years of battling colon cancer.
- Cambria – Heather Schumm (from Atascadero, Calif.). Schumm is passionate about spending her time inspiring others and giving back through the very organizations that gave to her while she was battling breast cancer.
- Santa Barbara – Jack Bianchi (from Santa Barbara, Calif.). Bianchi has been in remission 22 years and, in that time, has helped raise more than $1.5 million for cancer programs in the Santa Barbara area. Bianchi dedicates his time to organizing events to raise money for the Santa Barbara Cancer Center and other cancer organizations.
- Thousand Oaks – Lynn Buchanan (from Newbury Park, Calif.). Buchanan was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1988, and then again in 2012. Now that her treatments are complete, she volunteers and raises money so that cancer patients and survivors in her community can continue to have a sanctuary of their own to visit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV