NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Penn Virginia Corp. (PVA - Get Report), an independent oil and gas company, reported an increase in its adjusted EBITDAX for the 2014 first quarter to $93.8 million for the 2014 first quarter, from $60.3 million from the year-ago quarter.
The company reported net income of $17.5 million, or 22 cents per diluted share, compared to a net loss of -$18.1 million, or 33 cents per diluted share from the same period last year.
Shares of Penn Virginia closed lower -1.66% to $16.01 on Monday.TheStreet Ratings team rates PENN VIRGINIA CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate PENN VIRGINIA CORP (PVA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- PVA's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 53.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 94.28% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 301.92% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- PENN VIRGINIA CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PENN VIRGINIA CORP reported poor results of -$2.36 versus -$2.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.13 versus -$2.36).
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PENN VIRGINIA CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $36.68 million or 28.42% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PVA Ratings Report