NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Samsung Electronics Co. (SSNLF) closed down 3.70% to $1,300. today after it was reported that Lee Kun-hee, the 72 year-old chairman, was in stable condition at a hospital in Seoul after suffering a heart attack yesterday.
His latest health issues raised concerns over whether his son, Jay Y. Lee, was ready to take control over South Korea's largest company by market value, the Wall Street Journal reports.
The younger Mr. Lee, who has been groomed as a successor for many years, served as Samsung's COO until 2012 and is now vice chairman. He doesn't hold an operating title, the Journal said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV