SAN FRANCISCO, May 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) is committed to building on its progress in improving the safety and reliability of its service as it lays the foundation for meeting customers' future energy needs, the company said today at PG&E's annual shareholders meeting.
"We've implemented enormous change across the company, and we're making tremendous strides," said Tony Earley, Chairman, CEO and President of PG&E Corporation. "We know we have more work to do, and we are going to do it right. Nothing will take our focus off this commitment."
PG&E President Chris Johns said: "Safety, reliability and affordability will always be the bedrock for the relationships we have with our customers and the public. Everything we're doing today is about achieving and sustaining leading performance in these fundamentals. We're investing $6 billion a year to make our gas and electric systems among the safest, most modern and most reliable in the country."
Signs of progressEarley pointed to several examples of PG&E's progress:
- Safety: The recently opened state-of-the-art Gas Control Center in San Ramon allows the company to identify safety or reliability issues on the gas system and respond to them faster than ever before. Earley also noted the pipeline safety work completed over the past three years, including hydrostatic pressure testing, pipeline replacement, and new valves that allow for faster gas shut-off during emergencies.
- Reliability: PG&E's electric customers experienced fewer outage minutes in 2013 than ever before in the company's history, thanks to investments in modernizing the grid. These investments include devices on power lines to isolate outages and reroute power automatically.
- Affordability: PG&E is working to keep energy rates affordable for customers, including by working with legislators and regulators to reform California's rate structure. Relief for some customers who experience high summertime electric bills could come as early as next month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV