NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Insys Therapeutics (INSY) continued to plunge Monday after Friday's report from a Michigan local news site that a doctor had allegedly committed fraud in prescribing the company's drug Subsys.
Dr. Gavin Awerbuch allegedly prescribed Subsys to individuals who did not need it and then billed Medicare for the prescriptions, according to MLive.com, which quoted the allegations of federal authorities. Subsys is an opiate that is stronger than heroin but does not last as long and is used as a painkiller when morphine is not sufficient.
Awerbuch was arraigned in federal court on May 6 on charges of health care fraud and distribution of controlled substances. MLive.com reported a court affidavit claims he prescribed approximately 20.3% of the Subsys given to Medicare beneficiaries nationwide from Jan. 2009 through Feb. 2014.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. "Medicare paid Awerbuch $6.9 million from Jan. 1, 2009, through Feb. 6, 2014, for Subsys he prescribed. The next highest amount a U.S. prescriber received was $1.6 million," the article states. "He wrote 1,283 prescriptions for the drug in five years, while the next closest prescriber wrote 203 prescriptions, the complaint stated." Insys fell 15.39% to $27.65 at 12:36 p.m. on Monday after a rapid and steep decline Friday afternoon. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV