BETHESDA, Md., May 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SpringHill Suites by Marriott's fifth annual travel attitude survey reveals that Americans are looking to step outside of their comfort zones to achieve their travel bucket lists. According to the survey, conducted by Kelton Global, 48 percent say vacationing to see new places is important to them.
What activities top today's travel bucket lists?
- Flying first class (30 percent)
- Researching their heritage (26 percent)
- Setting foot on all seven continents (24 percent)
- Taking an African safari (21 percent)
- Hiking a famous trail or mountain (18 percent)
- Visiting a place in every time zone (17 percent)
- Filling every page of their passport (17 percent)
- Bungee jumping or sky diving while on vacation (14 percent)
Curiosity and ambition abound with today's millennial travelers. As compared to those 35 and up, millennials (18-34) have a greater sense of adventure and stronger desire to experience every bucket list item included in the survey. The most notable differences come with the adventurous activities, including setting foot on all seven continents (37 percent vs. 17 percent), bungee jumping or skydiving (26 percent vs. 6 percent) and hiking a famous mountain or trail (29 percent vs. 11 percent). But, with everything from taking a safari to researching their heritage, travelers want more out of their vacations than just a pretty beach
"Our annual survey confirms that millennials crave adventure and welcome the unexpected," said Callette Nielsen, vice president and global brand manager for SpringHill Suites. "We see ourselves as their partner along the way and with more than 300 locations in the U.S. and Canada, we are ready to help our guests explore new places and create memorable experiences."The excitement begins as early as when Americans decide where they're going, said 29 percent. But, the job still dictates decision making with more than half (51 percent) of workers saying they are not encouraged by their bosses to take all of their allotted vacation days and 23 percent claiming they get no paid vacation days at all.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV