The least expensive small SUVs to insure
Small sport-utility vehicles -- sometimes called crossovers -- hit all the right notes with many families.
Relatively roomy, relatively inexpensive and relatively stingy with gasoline, small SUVs also are among the cheapest vehicles to insure.
In fact, small SUVs dominate Insure.com's car insurance comparison study of 2014 models.
It's not just because they don't cost a lot. The same 40-year-old driver would pay $200 more a year to insure a less expensive Mazda3 hatchback than a Mazda CX-5 SUV.“It's all about who buys them,” says Penny Gusner, consumer analyst for Insure.com. “Younger drivers might prefer the sportier car, and families need the room of a crossover. One of those groups files more insurance claims than the other.” Nationwide average rates for models in the category can vary by more than $200 a year. The segment's best sellers are the Honda CR-V and Ford Escape; over a five-year car loan, a buyer would pay, on average, about $500 more to insure the Ford. Below are small crossovers with a base sticker price starting under $25,000. We've listed nationwide average annual rates for the all-wheel-drive models below.
The cheapest small SUVs to insure
- 2014 Jeep Patriot Sport - $1,104
- 2014 Honda CR-V LX - $1,115
- 2014 Dodge Journey SE - $1,149
- 2014 Ford Escape SE - $1,218
- 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium - $1,220
- 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - $1,249
- 2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport - $1,255
- 2014 Jeep Compass Limited - $1,258
- 2014 Chevrolet Equinox LS -$1,260
- 2014 Buick Encore AWD - $1,263
- 2014 Kia Sorento LX - $1,265
- 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4Motion - $1,299
- 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE - $1,329
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts