The company's revenue and income could fall in the coming years due to the closure of more than 300 stores, a drop in the pace of new store openings, and price cuts. Its competitors, on the other hand, aren't slowing down. As a result, Family Dollar could see its market share shrink.
Family Dollar has been lagging behind its main rivals in terms of revenue and earnings growth for the last five years. It is already the least profitable operator in its peer group, and its margins aren't getting any better.
For these reasons, the company's shares -- down 11.6% year to date to $57.40 as of Monday at 3:15 p.m. -- could continue to struggle.The short interest in Family Dollar has reached record lows, but that is due to takeover speculation, not an improvement in the company's fundamentals. In its previous quarterly results, Family Dollar reported a 6.1% year-over-year drop in revenue to $2.72 billion, while its net income plummeted 35.2% to $90.9 million, or 80 cents per share. Last year's results included an extra week, which contributed $189 million to sales and 7 cents per share to earnings. The severe winter weather in the previous quarter dragged the company's earnings by 5 cents per share. Family Dollar's same-store sales dropped 3.8% due to lower customer transactions. The company reported a drop in revenue in all categories.
|Category (in Millions)||2Q 2013||2Q 2014||% Change|
|Apparel and accessories||$183.61||$206.89||-11.30%|
|Seasonal and electronics||$318.79||$353.38||-9.80%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV