NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Bridgepoint Education Inc.
(BPI) are down -7.66% to $14.70 on Monday after the company reported a -$4.4 million net loss for the 2014 first quarter, compared to $23.5 million in net income from the previous year.
In its preliminary first quarter report, the post-secondary education services provider announced a loss of -10 cents per share for the most recent quarter versus earnings of 43 cents per share from the same period last year.
Bridgepoint reported a decline in revenue to $160.5 million from $222 million for the 2013 first quarter.
- 46.19% is the gross profit margin for BRIDGEPOINT EDUCATION INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of BPI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BPI's net profit margin of -3.95% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Consumer Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 135.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $18.37 million to -$6.46 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $21.26 million or 57.13% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BPI Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV