WhatsApp may have seemed expensive at $19 billion, but at least it was easy to see the fit with Facebook.
Oculus was a gadget company that didn't even have a gadget in the market yet. For the deal to make the remotest sense for Facebook, the final product had better be something way cooler than just leaning back and watching a movie.
The first shoe just dropped.It's drones. Yes, drones. Parrot -- which is a profitable public company listed in Paris reaching 73 million euros in revenue for its quarter ended in December -- has shown its next-generation drone, which can be used with the Facebook-Oculus immersive goggles. The new Parrot drone is called BeBop. It's a tiny remote-controlled helicopter that weighs only 380 grams (0.85 pounds) and includes a video camera. It is basically a remote-controlled spy-camera in the air. The Parrot BeBop done can fly for 12 minutes up to 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) away, and is controlled via WiFi from your Google (GOOG) or Apple (AAPL) iOS smartphone or tablet. The camera has an image stabilization feature to ensure that you don't feel sea-sick watching the image. If the drone approaches the outer edge of WiFi connectivity (up to 2 miles), it will fly back. In fact, you can simply press a button at any time and it will come back. Very handy! You can even program a complete flight plan, basically putting the Parrot BeBop drone on autopilot, allowing it to complete an end-to-end mission with you just watching the camera input. And therein resides the genius of this drone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV