Prices Keep Climbing, and More Homes Are Bought Cash Upfront
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There's no shortage of activity in the housing market, especially on key issues such as home prices and under-the-radar issues such as "all-cash" home purchases.
First up are home prices, which seem to have bounced around this year as the market grappled with mixed economic news but are on an undeniable steady climb.
CoreLogic reports that home prices have seen 25 straight months of year-to-year increases. It also reports that the average home price across the nation rose 11.1% in March on a year-to-year basis.
Compared with February, home prices rose by 1.4% in March, which mirrors year-to-year growth activity, but it's a number the market would prefer to be higher."March data on new and existing home sales was weaker than expected and is a cause for concern as we enter the spring buying season," says Dr. Mark Fleming, chief economist for CoreLogic. "Interest rate-disenfranchised potential sellers are adding to the existing shadow inventory, while buyers who can't find what they want to buy are on the sidelines creating a new kind of 'shadow demand.' This supply and demand imbalance continues to drive home prices higher, even though transaction volumes are lower than expected." There are more purchases in which the full sales price is paid upfront, but sales of distressed properties (including short sales and foreclosures) are down, according to the National Association of Realtors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV