The Rise of the Working Stay at Home Mom
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- When Delaine Moore became a single mother of three kids six years ago, she explored full-time work but found these positions weren't flexible enough. The divorce recovery coach needed a job that allowed her to work three to fours a day so that she could pick up her children after school.
"I continue to look at job postings on a daily basis," said Moore whose children are 13, 12 and 10 years old. "If I could find a flexible employer I would work full time."
Instead, Delaine works from home."A 9-to-5 means being separate from my children and not being there for them 8 to 10 hours a day," Moore told MainStreet. "I chose to be there for my kids during their formative years and to worry about my career later in life." Luckily, Delaine's memoir The Secret Sex Life of a Single Mom, (Seal Press, 2012), was optioned and acquired by Lifetime Television. "I was paid enough to get by on with my kids for a little while," Moore said. The author is not alone in opting to stay at home and work from home. According to a Pew Research Center government data survey, the number of stay at home mothers increased to 29% from 23% in 1999. >>Read More: Sorry, Mom, I Can't Afford a Mothers Day Gift This Year "Entrepreneurship is a vital key to allowing women to enjoy both motherhood and the stimulation of work," said Margie Baldock, author of the book The Mother Lode Manifesto (Star Fire Books 2013).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV