For the first quarter FutureFuel reported earnings of 14 cents a share, missing the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of 17 cents a share by 3 cents. Revenue fell -10.8% from the year-ago quarter to $82.2 million. Analysts expected revenue of $68.45 million for the quarter.
"The first quarter was characterized by flat revenue and much lower profitability in biodiesel due to the expiration of the $1 blender's tax credit on 12/31/13 and somewhat lower volume of our chemical division," Lee Mikles, FutureFuel president, said in a press release. "Comparisons to first quarter of 2013 were also skewed by the $2.5 million retroactive credit for 2012 biodiesel volumes."
TheStreet Ratings team rates FUTUREFUEL CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate FUTUREFUEL CORP (FF) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- FF's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 12.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 68.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- FF has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 5.91, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 306.66% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 71.10% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, FF should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income increased by 330.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $6.17 million to $26.53 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FF Ratings Report