BATTLE CREEK, Mich.,
May 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- Don't miss out on morning nutrition. Cereal + milk = more nutrients children need each day. #StartWithCereal http://ow.ly/wnSQQ
- Children consuming a cereal breakfast get more of the important vitamins and minerals they need. #StartWithCereal http://ow.ly/wnSZj
- Cereal makes a great school snack. Choose one w/ 3 g of fiber to help kids get the fiber they need. #StartWithCereal http://ow.ly/wo0sF
For consumers on a quest for a convenient and nutritious breakfast, new research presented last week at the American Society for Nutrition's annual Experimental Biology conference shows how a cereal with milk breakfast is one of the best ways to start the day.
One study, sponsored by Kellogg Company, found U.S. children and teens that have cereal with milk for breakfast consume more of several vitamins and minerals compared to those who have other types of breakfasts.
"Unfortunately, skipping breakfast becomes more common as children grow into teenagers," said Latha Devareddy, senior nutrition scientist at Kellogg. "Children who skip breakfast may be missing out on important nutrients in their diet, such as vitamins A, D, calcium and iron. This research shows how starting the day with a cereal and milk breakfast can help children get more of these critical nutrients."Also, presented for the first time at this conference, research in Mexico has shown the value of breakfast cereal for helping Mexican children get more of the nutrients they need. "While most children in Mexico eat breakfast, cereal is not as commonly consumed as in some other countries," said Deisy Hervert, nutrition scientist at Kellogg and one of the researchers on the study. "Yet, Mexican children who had cereal for breakfast had higher intakes of 10 vitamins and minerals compared to children consuming other types of breakfast, or skipping the meal altogether." Other research presented at the conference also showed how cereal can be consumed outside of the breakfast meal, as a snack at school, to help children get more fiber in their diet. In the study, children exchanged a typical school snack for a snack that provides fiber, such as cereal, resulting in an increase in fiber intake without a change in calories.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV