NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Symantec (SYMC) was gaining 3.1% to $20.77 Friday after beating analysts' expectations for earnings and revenue in the fiscal fourth quarter and guiding above estimates for the first quarter.
For the fourth quarter Symantec reported earnings of 47 cents a share, beating analysts' estimates of 42 cents a share by 5 cents. Revenue fell -5.7% year-over-year to $1.65 billion, in-line with estimates from analysts' surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
Looking to the fiscal first quarter Symantec expect earnings of 41 cents to 43 cents a share, compared to analysts' estimates of 43 cents a share. The company expects revenue of $1.65 billion to$1.69 billion for the first quarter, while analysts expect revenue of $1.64 billion for the quarter.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SYMANTEC CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SYMANTEC CORP (SYMC) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, reasonable valuation levels, growth in earnings per share, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Software industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 31.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $216.00 million to $283.00 million.
- SYMANTEC CORP has improved earnings per share by 33.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SYMANTEC CORP reported lower earnings of $1.05 versus $1.57 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.86 versus $1.05).
- The gross profit margin for SYMANTEC CORP is currently very high, coming in at 88.15%. Regardless of SYMC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 16.59% trails the industry average.
- SYMC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SYMC Ratings Report