NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Chiquita Brands International Inc. (CQB) are down -2.88% to $10.80 on heavy volume as the marketer and distributor of bananas and other fresh produce reported first quarter 2014 earnings results.
The company reported GAAP net loss of $25 million in 2014 compared to GAAP net income of $2 million 2013.
Ed Lonergan, Chiquita's president and CEO said, "Drought conditions in Central America and winter storms in North America and over the Atlantic disrupted our value chain and market demand for our products."
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 90.61% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 37.17% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- CHIQUITA BRANDS INTL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, CHIQUITA BRANDS INTL INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.34 versus -$8.71 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.12 versus -$0.34).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.26 million or 102.31% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.69 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, CQB maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.89, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CQB Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts