NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After a media report stated that Apple (AAPL) was in talks about buying Beats Electronics, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster wrote that acquiring Beats "sounds like a bad idea" for the iPhone and iPad maker. Beats Electronics, which was co-founded by rapper and record producer Dr. Dre, sells headphones and other audio equipment and operates a music streaming service.
WHAT'S NEW: Financial Times reported last night, citing people familiar with the negotiations, that Apple is in talks to acquire Beats for $3.2B in a deal that could be announced as early as next week. It's difficult to understand Apple's rationale for acquiring Beats, wrote Munster in a note to investors earlier today. Beats does not have any intellectual property that would make it a good acquisition for Apple, and although Beats would provide a world class music brand, the tech giant already has a world class brand, according to Munster. He believes that Apple would be better served by acquiring an Internet services company such as Yelp (YELP), Twitter (TWTR), Square "and even Yahoo (YHOO)." Munster kept an Overweight rating on Apple.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: Shares of another audio equipment maker, Skullcandy (SKUL), are surging following the report. In a note to investors earlier today, research firm Roth Capital wrote that the valuation at which Apple is reportedly looking to buy Beats suggests that Skullcandy was materially undervalued before the market opened today. Apple is reportedly discussing buying Beats for about 2.2 times Beats' estimated 2013 revenue, while Skullcandy was trading at just 0.9 times its 2013 revenue, according to the firm. The firm kept a $10 price target and Buy rating on Skullcandy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV