For the first quarter Clean Energy Fuels reported a loss of -30 cents a share, in-line with analysts' estimates. Revenue grew 2.4% from the year-ago quarter to $95.3 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected revenue of $89.95 million for the quarter.
"We believe our years of experience and leadership position in established markets like refuse and transit are positioning us extremely well to capitalize on the young, but significant opportunity in the heavy-duty truck market," president and CEO Andrew J. Littlefair said in a press release. "Opening stations and adding incremental volume to existing stations are top priorities for our company and we continue to make significant progress toward those goals."
Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates CLEAN ENERGY FUELS CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate CLEAN ENERGY FUELS CORP (CLNE) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its weak operating cash flow, poor profit margins, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and generally high debt management risk." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$2.27 million or 171.41% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for CLEAN ENERGY FUELS CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.62%. Regardless of CLNE's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CLNE's net profit margin of -38.02% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- CLNE's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 29.66%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.21 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Despite the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, the company has managed to keep a very strong quick ratio of 3.88, which shows the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CLEAN ENERGY FUELS CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CLNE Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV