Trade-Ideas: Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation (MHR) Is Today's "Dead Cat Bounce" Stock
- MHR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $32.4 million.
- MHR has traded 62,990 shares today.
- MHR is up 3.9% today.
- MHR was down 5.7% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MHR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MHR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MHR: Williston Hunter Canada, Inc. is engaged in the exploration, development, and production of petroleum and natural gas primarily in Western Canada and North Dakota. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation has been 4.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Magnum Hunter has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.69 and a short float of 17.4% with 6.74 days to cover. Shares are up 8.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MHR's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 0.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 87.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 62.50% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 225.79% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP reported poor results of -$1.53 versus -$0.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.63 versus -$1.53).
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.30 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. To add to this, MHR has a quick ratio of 0.57, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts