NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Pfizer Inc. (PFE - Get Report) are currently down -0.87% to $28,92 as it finds itself enmeshed in a political firestorm in the U.S. and Europe as it continues its attempt to buy AstraZeneca (AZN - Get Report).
A new offer is expected next week. AstraZeneca's shares are down -1.32% to $77.70.
A strategic question for Pfizer and its advisers is whether to come back with a new bid before bosses from both companies are grilled by U.K. lawmakers on May 13-14, or wait until the end of the week, Reuters reports.
- PFIZER INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PFIZER INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.65 versus $1.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.23 versus $1.65).
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.48, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, PFE has a quick ratio of 1.79, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $5,786.00 million or 10.08% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PFIZER INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -40.05%.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PFIZER INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PFE Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts