Nearly 800 local General Electric (NYSE:GE) employees are volunteering their time today to make a difference in the community during the 12th Annual GE Community Day across the Chicagoland area.
During this day of service, GE volunteers will:
- Clean up litter and help with vegetation and habitat management at Carl Hansen Woods, part of Cook County Forest Preserves;
- Painting, planting and outdoor improvements at Family Focus;
- Complete emergency food packaging projects and salvage fruits and vegetables at the Greater Chicago Food Depository;
- Support thousands of athletes at the Special Olympics’ Spring Games; and
- Paint, beautify and fix Aunt Martha's Youth Service Center and Health Center.
Over the past two years, GE employees have volunteered nearly 30,000 hours to the Chicago area and the company has issued over $13 million in donations and matching gifts in Illinois. Most recently, the GE Foundation made a $2.2 million grant to expand the City of Chicago’s cardiovascular screening program. In honor of Community Day, GE will issue the Special Olympics of Illinois a donation of $60,000.
"I applaud and commend GE and all the volunteers for their giving and caring spirit," said Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White. "Their support and contribution to the Special Olympics and other local non-profits reinforces the importance of corporate social responsibility."Chicago is home to the headquarters of four GE businesses and over the past three years, GE has grown its employee base in Chicago by nearly 40%. “Chicago is an important market for GE and we are committed to making a difference in this community,” said Russell Stokes, President and CEO of GE Transportation. “This event is just one example of how much our employees care about the community they live and work in, and we are proud to contribute to improving the lives of our neighbors in need.”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts