TORRANCE, Calif., May 8, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Farmer Bros. Co. (Nasdaq:FARM) today reported financial results for the three and nine months ended March 31, 2014.
Third Quarter Fiscal 2014 Highlights:
- Net sales decreased 1.4% to $124.6 million in the third quarter;
- Gross margin improved to 38.4% in the third quarter compared to 37.7% in the third quarter of fiscal 2013; and
- Net income was $2.5 million, or $0.16 per diluted common share, compared to net loss of $1.3 million, or $0.08 per diluted common share.
"It was a challenging quarter," said CEO Mike Keown. "Extreme weather in the Midwest and Eastern markets kept the route trucks off the roads and customer demand was sluggish." Keown went on to say, "We believe that customer issues in the aggregate limited our sales by about $4-5 million in the quarter, but we still expect the turnaround at Farmer Brothers to continue."Fiscal Three Month Results: Net sales in the third quarter of fiscal 2014 decreased $1.7 million, or 1.4%, to $124.6 million from $126.3 million in the third quarter of the prior fiscal year. Net sales in the current period were impacted by the severe weather in the Midwestern and Eastern states and business-related disruptions experienced by some of our retail customers. Gross profit in the third quarter of fiscal 2014 increased $0.2 million, or 0.4%, to $47.8 million, as compared to $47.6 million in the third quarter of the prior fiscal year. Gross margin increased 70 basis points to 38.4% in the third quarter of fiscal 2014 from 37.7% in the third quarter of the prior fiscal year, primarily due to an 18% decrease in the average cost of green coffee purchased. Operating expenses in the third quarter of fiscal 2014 increased to $49.9 million from $46.9 million in the third quarter of the prior fiscal year, reflecting an increase in selling expenses and the absence of $1.2 million in net gains on sales of assets recorded in the third quarter of the prior fiscal year, partially offset by a decrease in general and administrative expenses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV