Car Owners Don't Know What Raises Their Car Insurance
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Car owners have a skewed idea of what affects their vehicle insurance bill, and that may be affecting how much money they pay out of pocket every month at a time auto insurance rates are already growing, according to data from J.D. Power.
"In 2013, there was a sharp rise in the number of customers who have experienced premium increases," says Jeremy Bowler, a senior director at J.D. Power. "The dollar amount of those increases was also larger, averaging $153 in 2013 compared with an average rate increase of $113 reported in the 2012 study."
But Americans aren't helping their own cause by misunderstanding how auto insurance companies calculate rate costs.
For example, according to InsuranceQuotes.com, 43% of U.S. vehicle owners mistakenly believe the size of their paycheck determines how much they'll pay for insurance. Another 36% of auto owners believe their job status is the biggest factor in calculating their car insurance costs.While these factors do contribute to the calculations of auto insurers, there are other unnoticed factors that count as much, and they're largely controllable. For instance, the driver's education level (a college degree counts for a lot with insurers) and marital status (married couples pay less for insurance) are big targets for auto insurers. There are some factors you just can't control -- younger men pay 25% more for insurance than younger women, for example, and you can't control gender or age.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV