NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- SandRidge Energy (SD) shares are down -1.6% to $6.62 on Thursday following the release of the company's first quarter earnings results.
Despite beating analysts first quarter earnings estimates of $406.43 million, the $444.04 million it made in revenues this quarter was down -13.5% from the previous year.
The company reported adjusted net income of $37.9 million, or 7 cents per diluted share, beating analysts consensus estimates of 5 cents per share.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SANDRIDGE ENERGY INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SANDRIDGE ENERGY INC (SD) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, increase in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and generally higher debt management risk."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 106.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$287.90 million to $19.08 million.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 101.58% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 33.46% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- SANDRIDGE ENERGY INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SANDRIDGE ENERGY INC reported poor results of -$1.27 versus -$0.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.10 versus -$1.27).
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.75 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, SD's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.25, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, SANDRIDGE ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV