Oakland, Calif., is committed to energy efficiency and has been named one of America’s greenest cities. Its decision was natural to upgrade more than 30,000 street lights to GE’s Evolve™ LED Roadway Scalable Cobrahead fixtures—a move that will save this West Coast port city more than $1.4 million in annual energy and maintenance costs.
The LED street lighting fixtures will be installed by springtime throughout most of the city, converting existing 70- to 400-watt high pressure sodium (HPS) fixtures. The city of Oakland anticipates energy savings in excess of 40 percent and reduced maintenance costs due to the longer life of the LED lighting fixtures.
“The program again proves that Oakland is a national leader in civic innovation, saving money and helping to protect the environment,” said Mayor Jean Quan. “These lights burn less energy, which means we’re reducing our energy bills and our energy use at the same time, and their much longer lifespan also means we’re reducing our e-waste footprint. Everyone who has contributed to this project is helping Oaklanders and making our city proud.”
The city of nearly 400,000 residents requested street lighting fixtures that met exacting light output requirements while consuming less energy. Seeking a solution that would fulfill the city’s specific needs, electrical distributor Graybar recommended the GE Evolve LED fixture, which would provide significant savings in both energy and cost.“After identifying Oakland’s needs, we decided the GE Evolve fixture would best suit this project,” said Kristian Reyes, Manager, Lighting Business at Graybar. “Because the Evolve fixture offers tremendous scalability and flexibility, we could easily tailor the solution to meet Oakland’s requirements.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV